Square Grid

The pencil grid of freehand squares represents the right angles that govern the structures we live and work and play in, the shape of our books and pages of type, our pictures and countless other elements of our lives. I then created a arbitrary undersurface with random colors and placements, representing the uncontrolled factors that constitute another elements of our lives. Then on a very cold but clear day I stood across the street from the temple to the east and sketched. I emphasized with white charcoal the afternoon light hitting the south side of the temple. Finally, I unified the background and the temple shadows with a ultramarine blue wash. The arbitrary primary colors become the storm of life that contrast to but compel us toward the House of the Lord.

3 comments:

March said...

good pictures!

Laura said...

This one is my absolute favorite. I love this.

ER!N said...

I love your art. It is inpirational to me.It may sound weird but some of your paintings on campus (BYU-I)have helped me discover who I am and my purpose in life. Lately I have been studying art and have considered making it my major. I just want you to know that I appreciate your work and hope you continue.